Monday, April 12, 2010

run zochor, run!

Last night, D and I watched The Cave of the Yellow Dog, a Mongolian/German film directed and written by Byambasuren Davaa that was released in 2005. Not knowing what the film was about, D and I just snuggled on the couch and watched it. 


Despite winning 6 awards in different film festivals, including snagging the Best Children's Picture award in the 2006 Deutscher Filmpreis, the NY Times did not spare the film from an unfavorable review. But I'd have to say, I disagree with the NY Times. I genuinely enjoyed the movie. Sure, there was a point while watching the film that I was anxiously anticipating something bad to happen or just some sense of pending climax. But I just sorta fell in love with the simplicity of it all. I like seeing how different the Batchuluun family's life is from the life I lead. I loved watching those 3 adorable kids play. And the scenery... holy begeezus, the scenery! It's either they did an excellent job with the cinematography or the place is just breathtakingly beautiful (I think it's both). Just look at these gorgeous still shots:






Purty, innit?


[Images via Cinematic Intelligence Agency and AvaxHome]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails