Monday, April 5, 2010

the lomo love affair

My love affair with lomo cameras started way back in 2005 when I came across pictures taken with an Oktomat. After much internet trolling, I found Lomography and quickly fell in love with the highly saturated pictures, the flimsy plastic cameras, and the "don't think, just shoot" ethos. In no time, I was in the hunt for my first lomo camera. My top 3 choices included the LC-A, the Holga, and the Colorsplash. The top two were way off my budget and even if I saved up for it, I figured it would probably take me a year or so before I could afford one on my entry-level salary. So, the Colorsplash it is -- which wasn't a bad choice at all since I was fascinated with its flash Color Wheel, long exposure shots, and the out-of-this world look of the camera. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to shell out a penny for my Colorsplash as my then boyfriend gave me one as a surprise gift.

I'd always intended to expand my lomo collection but it was critical to find the right next purchase. And in September 2007, a couple of weeks before my birthday, I found the right one. Inspired to tell the story of how I found her, here's an entry I wrote about the Diana+.

I fell in-love with Diana+

It was a Sunday when I first laid my eyes on you. I was out and about, aimlessly wandering - one floor to another, one store to the next. I consciously perused the halls of never-ending strips of quaint coffee shops, hoity toity restos, shops with awesome knick knacks, of clothes and such. The mall has once again eaten me whole. I was willingly subjecting myself to get lost - in a maze of left and rights, in a sea of strange faces, in a place that was unknown but becoming vaguely familiar. I rested my fate on my curious feet, which braved the infinite stretch of shiny tiles.

After I've had enough of strolling past endless windows of motionless mummies wearing the latest trends, I decided it was high time I pay Holga a visit. It was this trip to this particular nifty store that caused our beautiful encounter. I've been to this store before. Several times in the past of couple of months, actually. I would always casually snoop around, touching and holding things that caught my fancy. I was deliberately delaying my approach to that little corner where Holga was, as seeing her always left me with a heavy sigh. For the past few months, I've longed to take her home with me. But unfortunate financial circumstances hindered me from doing so. As I finally succumbed enough courage to say hello, I slowly walked in front of the shelf where she was. She was out of her box. I reached out and held her for a minute or so, cautiously admiring her beauty. Before I got the urge to run out the store with her in my hands, I thought it best to put her back down and comfort myself with the thought that someday. Someday.

As I gently placed Holga back to her rightful place, I caught a glimpse of you. You were in a tightly sealed box with beautiful dream-like pictures all around. And in big bold white letters, it said: DIANA+. I felt a sudden rush and without warning, I grabbed you with my two hands and meticulously studied the highly saturated colors of the images that surrounded you. I knew in that moment that I had to have you. It was simply love at first sight.

But reality knocked me over and before my consumer impulse got the best of me, I opted to put you back down and walk away. And so I did that day. But the thought of all the fun and amazing images I could create with you kept me up all night.

So the very next day, I came back. My original plan was just to say hello and see how you were doing. But as I entered the store, there was a group of giddy girls in your corner. I panicked. The thought of losing you to these girls made my heart race. I hurriedly came over and asked the emo-looking lad to hand you over to me. He willingly obliged and even encouraged me to take you out of your magnificent-looking box. I did so without any hesitation. And as I saw you in all your plastic glory, I immediately said: I'll take her!
And so I did. They lovingly placed you in a yellow paper bag that I proudly carried out that store. I took you to a nice coffee shop after so I can look at you and muse over the wonderful adventures we'll have together.


Diana is love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails