Thursday, November 18, 2010

to my favorite boy in the world

My favorite boy in the world is celebrating his birthday today. So I'm reposting an entry I wrote for him a couple of years back because it pretty much sums up how I feel for him.

If you're reading this, know that I will always be daddy's little girl. I love you Dad!

***

Last Sunday, my main man celebrated his 60th year. Of course, by main man I mean my dad.


I can't believe he's 60. When my mom told me how old he was, I cried. It just felt like he was so old and I don't want him to be. Because if there's one thing that I wish for my dad, it would be immortality.


My dad and I have always shared an inexplicable bond; the kind that only certified daddy's girls know. It was always easier to relate to him, to be open about what i feel and to talk to him without being conscious of what I am about to say. He is unbelievably kind, thoughtful and sweet in an understated way, understanding and forgiving beyond belief, and his selflessness knows no bounds. Through the years, he has proven just how good of a father he is. A sole provider of a family of six, he has managed to give us the best life has to offer.

I've always been grateful for everything he has given me. But I appreciate him now more than ever. At times wherein I feel tired of dealing with the daily grind of work and the struggles of staying afloat, I think about how my dad has been doing this most of his life and never did I hear him complain about it. He had to take the brunt of providing for five other individuals and here I am whining about fending for myself? The thought in itself leaves me in awe. It amazes me how he has managed to put our needs first before his; how he sacrificed so much just so he can give us a comfortable life.


 

If there is one thing that I resent about being here in Bangkok, it's being away from him. I miss him so much it breaks my heart. I miss waking up in the morning, going out of my room with my hair all in a mess and then he sees me and gives me this horrified look but gives me a kiss anyway. I miss being stuck in traffic with him and our long talks while in the car. I miss spending happy hour at Richmonde's lounge bar and just talking - catching up like we're just casual friends chugging down loads of beer. I miss meeting up with him in Luk Yuen Megamall for some cheap Chinese food after work. I miss watching funny movies with him and hearing him laugh over the silliest lines. I miss hearing him whistling nonchalantly as he goes about his work. I miss watching him fix the car on weekends, singing along Beatles songs blasting in the background. I miss hearing him use new age words/terms just to sound cool. I miss listening to him as he plays the guitar, playing Beatles songs -- my favorite of which is when he plays And I Love Her because it feels like he's dedicating it to me.

I can go on and on.

To say that I love him is an understatement. Even if I try, I cannot put into words just how much I do. To express just how much he means to me fills me with so much emotion and it makes me cry uncontrollably, it's ridiculous. To me, he is this remarkable man who I have and will always look up to and respect.

I will always feel indebted to him and I've made it a life-long commitment to ensure that I give something back. I only hope that someday I turn out to be half the person that he is and that somehow I make him proud.

2 comments:

Macy said...

Happy birthday to your dad, Meanne! From one certified Daddy's girl to another, dads are the best. (:

melissa said...

thanks Mace! Yes, daddy's girls unite! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails